Oklahoma Manhunt Concludes with Final Shootout

By  | 

A weeklong manhunt came to a close Sunday night after an Oklahoma fugitive ended his killing spree in a final act of violence–a shootout with police officers that left him dead.

What Happened

Michael Vance, 38, faced accusations of shooting two Wellston police officers and killing his aunt and uncle inside their Oklahoma home. Vance’s rampage unfolded on October 23 and he posted two Facebook Live videos while on the run.

Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel indicated that the “rage killings” were linked to a pending sexual assault case. Vance had been scheduled to appear in court on November 7 to face felony child sex abuse charges after a 15-year-old girl accused him of sexual assault.

According to emergency officials in Lincoln County, Vance’s crime spree started after a disturbance call. The two responding officers were shot and wounded–Vance managed to flee the scene in a stolen patrol car.

Documenting the events, Vance posted a video to Facebook.

“This is more intense than I thought it would be, to say the least,” he said. “This truck is about dead … I’m about to steal another car. Like right now.”

Investigators believe Vance then shot a woman while trying to steal a Lincoln Town Car.

Authorities later spotted the car in Luther, just northeast of Oklahoma City. There, police found the bodies of Robert and Valerie Kay Wilkson, who were Vance’s aunt and uncle. Both showed signs of attempted dismemberment.

The manhunt continued as Oklahoma Highway Patrol warned that Vance had a “medical condition and may try to spread disease,” specifically “a communicable disease that can be transmitted by blood.”

The Final Hours

Sunday night, around 9:30 PM, Vance shot and wounded Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander after Sander stopped a flatbed truck to warn the driver about a chain dragging behind it, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokesman Jessica Brown said in a statement.

The sheriff was injured in an ensuing exchange of gunfire and Vance got away, triggering a 20-25-minute car chase.

Vance faced his demise in a second shootout with Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers–ending  an intense statewide manhunt for an accused killer and child abuser.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chief Ricky Adams later tweeted: “The manhunt is over.”

Bryan White
Bryan is an editorial intern at Law Street Media from Stratford, NJ. He is a sophomore at American University, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism. When he is not reading up on the news, you can find him curled up with an iced chai and a good book. Contact Bryan at



Send this to friend